I’ve been attending to how I can hang my pieces today and haven’t come up with a satisfactory solution – yet. From 8.30 to mid afternoon I stitched pieces together; it took far longer than I expected. I’ve sewn them in strips – the dates are going downwards and not across as in the more conventional manner. The only place I could hang them was on my window rail which is totally the wrong place as the pieces are neither free standing nor against a dark background. I’m very uncertain about the results.
The first one I’ve used knitting needles at the top to give the hanging rigidity.
Here I’ve added a needle to each piece – it hangs better as it means that the pieces are displayed better , less droopy, but I’m not happy at all with the result. Tomorrow I’ll sew the pieces in the conventional Calender way, that is the dates going across.
After the vertical hanging I went horizontal. Again it took up a great deal of my time just sewing the pieces together and again I feel it’s all been in vain as it’s just not working. I know what I’ve been doing is just a rough mock-up but it’s too rough without the potential to look professional.
The pieces weren’t hanging straight as they were pulling against each other. This is in spite of my careful sewing – I think it’s all to do with the tension of each piece as some are naturally not true rectangles even after washing and blocking. This is due to how the stitches fall. So I unpicked my day and hung them separately
But wondering if they look like washing hung up. Also if I did hang the work like this I would need 152 knitting needles, so I’m about 100 short! Another factor putting me off is the physical effort required. I was reminded of the hanging of my Family Ties piece which took a whole day up a ladder. Each hanging thread had to be a precise length and every one was different.
I’m going back to my red felt backing but set the pieces out in a different way – see how that works.
Because I feel on the edge I knitted an edging later on – Vandyke edging.